Announcement of the Re-Evaluation of the Toll-Free Measures in the Tohoku Area
(Translated from Nexco Japan’s flyer)
We have re-evaluated the targeted areas, vehicles, and usage methods of the Toll-Free Measures in the Tohoku Area, based on the revision of the relevant ordinances.
Disaster Area Support/Tourism Revival
We are introducing toll-free measures that do not require documentation.
Application of Toll-Free Measures:
The expressway tolls will be free in the following free areas, dependent on the day and vehicle type. *In cases when these include a non-exempt area, you will be expected to pay the fee for the non-exempt area.
ETC/一般 (7 days a week/All vehicle types)
The areas delineated by the double lines in the map on the right will be toll-free.
ETC Only (Regular Vehicles and Light Vehicles on Holidays*)
The areas delineated by the thickened lines in the map on the right will be toll-free.
*Saturdays, Holidays, January 3rd, 2011, and March 19th, 2011)
(*)In cases where there are multiple possible routes within the interchange area, the toll-free area in the shortest route will be toll-free. The amount of the expressway tolls for the non-exempt areas will also be dependent on the shortest route. Please verify the amount of the expressway toll beforehand.
(*)Even in cases where no expressway tolls are owed (0 yen): please use the ETC lane with your ETC card inserted, or, for non-ETC, please make sure to take an expressway ticket.
(*)There are no conditions limiting the persons or purposes by which this can be used.
We are reducing the area and targeted persons for toll-free measures that require documentation.
1. People who have evacuated outside of the evacuated region colored in on the map above.
2. People living inside the nuclear accident evacuation areas designated by the government on the occasion of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake.
Present the documents below upon using the 一般lane at the exit toll booth.
Application of Toll-Free Measures:
All areas delineated by double lines on the map above where tolls are charged at the Interchange entrance or exit will be toll-free.
Making Use of the Disaster Area Support/Tourism Revival Provision
- If you have fulfilled the requirements for a time-based discount on the ETC a discount will be applied to the toll for the non-exempt areas. Determination of the time-based discount will be conducted at the entrance or exit toll booths, even in the toll-free areas.
- Please be careful: In cases where there are multiple possible routes within the interchange area, the toll-free area in the shortest route will be toll-free. Because of this the toll-free measures for the route you actually travelled might not be applied.
The interchange area between the following entrances and exits will be set as a toll-free area, but because there are non-exempt areas within the shortest route it will be necessary to pay tolls.
- Mito – Shirakawa/Shirakawa Chuo Smart/Yabuki
- Mito North Smart – All IC inside the toll-free area, exempting Mito
- Naka – Shirakawa/Shirakawa Chuo Smart
- Tokai Smart – Shirakawa
Making Use of the Evacuee Support Provision
- People who have evacuated from the following areas as part of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake. *People living in areas designated as nuclear accident evacuation areas by the government at the time of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake do not need to have evacuated for this to apply.
Aomori: Hashikami-cho, Hachinohe-shi, Oirase-cho
Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima (all regions)
Ibaraki: Mito, Hitachi, Hitachiota, Takahagi, Kita-Ibaraki, Hitachinaka, Oarai, Hitachiomiya, Naka, Shirosato, Tokaimura, Daigo
- The following are the documents you need to present when you reach the exit toll booth.
1. For people who have evacuated from the areas listed above: all documents below, A to D
2. For people living inside the nuclear accident evacuation areas designated by the government on the occasion of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake: documents B & D only.
*all documents must be originals (copies are invalid)
Disaster Victim Certificate (must be from the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake) B
Documents from a public institution that confirm you were living in one of the evacuated areas above at the time of the disaster. C
Documents from a public institution that confirm you are currently living outside of the evacuated areas above, or a bill or receipt for utility fees. D
Documents from a public institution that confirm your identity.
- Please be careful: You cannot use this with ETC. Please take an expressway ticket at the entrance toll booth.
- Please be careful: the Yamagata Expressway (from Yudonosan to Sakata Minato), Yonezawa Nan-yo Road, Tokyo Gai-kan Road, Metropolitan Expressway, Dai-ni Michinoku Toll Road, and the Hitachi Toll Road are not part of the toll-free measures.
※Translated from Nexco Japan’s flyer
Back to mainpage